Layering onions in the bottom of the dish lets them caramelize in the heavy cream for a pop of sweetness.
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- 1 (2 lb.) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup Italian-seasoned panko crumbs, like Progresso
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 2-qt. casserole. Sprinkle bottom of casserole with onion. Arrange squash slices over onion; season with salt and pepper. Pour heavy cream over squash. Place casserole on baking sheet. Bake 40 min. or until squash is tender.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with shredded cheese and panko crumbs. Bake 5 min. or until cheese is melted and crumbs are golden.