Peanut butter cups baked right into the batter make for an extra-sweet surprise in our chocolaty delights.
- 40 miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups, unwrapped
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. triple chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 10 Tbs. butter, at room temp.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, at room temp.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup hot fudge topping
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line 20 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Quarter 20 peanut butter cups; reserve.
- On low speed, beat cake mix, 1¼ cups water, eggs, and oil until blended, 30 sec.; on medium speed, beat 2 min. Divide batter evenly among liners. Top each with 4 reserved peanut butter cup quarters. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 15–20 min. Let cool for 10 min. Transfer from pans to rack; let cool completely.
- On medium speed, beat butter and peanut butter until fluffy, about 2 min. On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then milk and vanilla until combined; on medium speed, beat until fluffy, about 2 min. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe over cupcakes. Top with remaining peanut butter cups. Mix fudge topping with 4 tsp. water. Drizzle over cupcakes.