Our lightened-up version of a Tex-Mex favorite stars sautéed veggies and grilled lean beef.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, cut lengthwise into ½”-thick slices
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ⅛ tsp. + ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, 1” thick
- 2 taco-size whole-wheat flour tortillas (7½”)
- 8 large leaves Boston lettuce
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Prepare grill or grill pan for medium-high direct-heat cooking. In 12” nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper, onion, ½ tsp. chili powder and 1/8 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until softened, 5-6 min. Add tomatoes; cook, until tomatoes have softened, 3-5 min; stir in beans. Remove from heat; cover.
- Brush both sides of steak with remaining 1 Tbs. oil; sprinkle with remaining 1½ tsp. chili powder and ¼ tsp. salt. Grill, turning once, 4-5 min. per side for medium-rare or until desired doneness. Grill tortillas, flipping, 1-2 min. per side until browned. Let steak stand 5 min. before slicing. Tear tortillas into pieces. Divide bean mixture, sliced steak, avocado, tortillas, sour cream, jalapeno and cilantro among lettuce leaves. Serve with lime wedges.