Our quick-prep basil mayo adds creamy freshness to these toasty treats.
- 2 (10 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, halved horizontally
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread, 8 oz.
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 4 oz.
- Between 2 sheets plastic wrap, using meat mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken to about ⅓” thick. In bowl, stir together mayonnaise and basil; reserve. Place eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Working with 1 cutlet at a time, dip in egg letting excess drip off, then coat in breadcrumbs. In 12” nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-low heat. Add 2 cutlets; cook, flipping once, until golden and chicken is cooked through, 3-4 min. per side. Transfer to plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken. Wipe skillet clean.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with mayonnaise mixture. Top 4 slices of bread, mayonnaise side up, with tomatoes, chicken and cheese. Top with remaining bread, mayonnaise side down.
- Coat same skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-low heat. In batches, add sandwiches and cook, flipping once, until lightly browned and cheese is melted, about 3 min. per side.