To save time on the big day, prep the filling up to two days ahead; sprinkle on the topping just before baking.
- 7 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1½ sticks butter, divided
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup brown sugar
- In large pot of boiling water, cook sweet potatoes 30 min. or until tender. Drain; return to pot to cool.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mash potatoes. Transfer to bowl of electric mixer. Add ½ stick butter, maple syrup, evaporated milk and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Spread mixture in greased 9″x13″ baking dish.
- In bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, thyme, brown sugar and remaining butter until large crumbs form. Sprinkle evenly over sweet potato mixture. Bake 40 min. or until topping is crisp and golden brown.