Fresh leeks, creamy rich Gouda cheese sauce and meaty mushrooms brighten up this Thanksgiving mainstay.
1 hr., 5 min.
- 2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. Gouda cheese, shredded, about 1 cup
- 1 cup canned French-fried onions
- 2 Tbs. toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans over medium-high heat until just tender, about 5 min. Drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to shallow 10-cup baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and leek; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 min. Sprinkle flour over mixture; cook, stirring, until flour is absorbed, 1 min. Gradually stir in chicken broth and heavy cream; stir in Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 2 min.
- Remove from heat; stir in Gouda cheese until melted. Pour over green beans in baking dish and lightly toss; cover with foil. Bake 20 min. Remove foil; sprinkle with onions and almonds. Bake until lightly browned, 5–10 min.