Since Parmesan has a strong flavor, it only takes a little to add cheesiness to this dish’s low-cal veggie-based sauce.
- 8 oz. (2 cups) whole-grain macaroni
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ small onion, minced
- 2 Tbs. butter-canola spread
- 2 Tbs. flour
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup low-fat (2%) milk
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta as package directs. Drain; set aside. Meanwhile, in microwave-safe bowl, combine next 3 ingredients and 2 Tbs. water. Cover; microwave 8 min. Transfer to food processor; process until smooth.
- In saucepot over medium heat, melt butter spread. Add flour and mustard. Cook 1 min.; slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook 1 min., stirring constantly. Add cauliflower puree. Let simmer 2 min. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until blended. Add pasta; toss to coat.