Rich coconut frosting tops lemony cupcakes that are easy to make with
a mix – and spider-shaped sprinkles are stirred right into the batter.
- 1 (2.5 oz.) cont. Wilton Spider Mix sprinkles
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. lemon cake mix
- Water, eggs and oil
- 2 cups butter (1 lb.), at room temp.
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar, from 2 (16 oz.) pkgs.
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Remove spider-shaped sprinkles from mix and reserve. Prepare cake mix with water, eggs and oil according to package directions. Stir in reserved sprinkles.
Divide batter among liners. Bake 15-18 minutes or until pick inserted
comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter until fluffy, 2 minutes. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then milk and extract until smooth. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide frosting among 3 bowls. Stir 1¾ tsp. orange food coloring into one bowl, ¾ tsp. leaf green into second bowl and ¼ tsp. violet food coloring and a few dots of brown food coloring into remaining bowl. Transfer each color to separate large plastic food storage bag; snip about ¾” from one corner of each. Place bags in large pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe over cupcakes. Garnish with reserved spider sprinkles.