Perfect for serving up at a backyard barbecue, these confections are almost too pretty to eat!
- 1 (16.5 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups gold tequila
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup Key lime juice
- ¼ cup grated lime zest
- 1½ cups butter, at room temp.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Light green decorating sugar
- Lime fruit slice candies, cut into wedges
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, eggs, ½ cup tequila, ½ cup water, oil, 2 Tbs. lime juice until combined, 30 seconds. On medium speed, beat 2 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbs. lime zest.
- Divide among liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Immediately, using fork, poke 6 sets of holes into top of each cupcake. Brush tops with remaining 1 cup tequila. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- On low, gradually beat remaining 2 Tbs. lime juice and 2 Tbs. zest into frosting until just blended. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Pipe frosting over cupcakes. Sprinkle edge of frosting with green sugar; garnish with candies.