This orange-infused treat will be the cherry on top of any celebration! Want to give the drink a try too? Click through to learn how to make a tequila sunrise.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup tequila (optional)
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest 2½ cups butter
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- Halved orange slices and maraschino cherries (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Prepare cake mix according to package directions with eggs, ½ cup juice, tequila (or ½ cup water) and oil. Stir in zest. Divide batter among liners. Bake until pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18–20 min. Cool in pans 10 min. Transfer from pans to rack; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter until fluffy, 2 min. On low, gradually beat in sugar, then remaining juice; on medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2–3 min. Divide frosting between 2 bowls; tint 1 pink with red food coloring.
- Tint 1 orange with red and yellow food coloring. Transfer some of frostings to separate disposable pastry bags; snip ¾” opening from each. Place both bags in larger pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe frosting on cupcakes, refill bags as needed. If desired, garnish with oranges and cherries.