Smiles are guaranteed with these clever treats inspired by the iconic candy.
- 1 (16.25 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 4 (16 oz.) cans white frosting
- Lemon yellow and orange concentrated food coloring
- ½ cup dark chocolate frosting
- 48 large candy eyes
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, eggs, oil and ½ cup water, 30 sec.; on medium beat 2 min. Divide batter among liners. Bake until toothpick
- Prep inserted in centers comes out clean, 16–20 min. Let cool in pans 5 min.; transfer from pans to rack. Let cool completely.
- Tint 1 can white frosting yellow with food coloring. Tint 2 cans white frosting orange with food coloring (leave remaining can white). Transfer some of yellow frosting to large pastry bag fitted with ½” round tip. Pipe over cupcakes, refilling bag as needed. Chill until set, 15 min.
- Repeat with orange frosting, piping on 3 layers as shown. Chill until set, at least 30 min.
- Repeat with white frosting, piping swirl on top as shown. Chill until set, at least 30 min.
- Transfer chocolate frosting to small sandwich bag; snip small hole from one bottom corner. Pipe on mouths as shown. Press candy eyes into white frosting to create faces.