They’ll be spellbound when you serve these extra-fudgy chocolate and toffee bits
cupcakes topped with rich buttercream frosting and candy witch hats.
- ¾ tsp. tylose powder, such as Wilton
- 1½ cups black fondant, plus extra, such as Wilton Decorator Preferred
- Rainbow sour belts candy
- Light corn syrup
- Purple, orange, green and yellow confetti sprinkles
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. triple chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup milk chocolate toffee bits, such as Heath
- 2 cups butter (1 lb.), at room temp.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, from 2 (16 oz.) pkgs.
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Orange, leaf green, yellow and violet concentrated food coloring
- To prep fondant, knead tylose into 1½ cups fondant. Divide into 24 portions, 1 Tbs. each. To make fondant cones, Roll each portion into a ball, then shape into cone.
- To create brims, flatten bottom of each cone to 1¾” wide, as shown. Taper tops and curve. Dry at least 3 hours.
- To decorate hats, cut 24 green and yellow strips from sour belts candy; trim to fit around hat. Brush one side of each strip lightly with corn syrup and press onto hats. If necessary, press small piece of extra fondant over ends of belt to attach to hat. Attach sprinkles with corn syrup. Dry.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, chocolate milk, eggs, oil and ¼ cup water 30 seconds; on medium, beat 2 minutes. Evenly divide among cupcake liners. Sprinkle each cupcake with 1 tsp. toffee bits. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Transfer from pan to rack; cool completely.
- On medium speed, beat butter until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then milk and vanilla until combined; on medium-high, beat until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Evenly divide frosting among three bowls. Tint one bowl orange, one bowl green (using green and yellow colorings) and remaining bowl violet with food colorings. Transfer to pastry bags fitted with drop flower tip (such as Wilton #1B). Pipe over cupcakes. Top with witch hats. Make 24 cupcakes.