Women's Weekly Food
Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Now, those who are dairy-free can also enjoy it, thanks to this scrumptious vegan mac and cheese recipe.
- 1 lb. macaroni
- 1 oz. vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups macadamia milk
- 7 oz. grated vegan mozzarella
- 2/3 cup grated vegan parmesan
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 9.5 oz. tempeh
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. tamari
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Make tempeh bacon bits: Crumble tempeh into tiny pieces. Place in two batches in a doubled piece of paper towel; squeeze tightly to remove excess moisture. Whisk maple syrup, smoked paprika, and tamari in a small bowl. Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook tempeh, stirring, for eight minutes, breaking it up further with a wooden spoon, or until lightly browned and very dry. Add smoked paprika mixture; cook for a further 10 minutes or until dark, dry, and crumbly. Drain on paper towel; season. Cool.
- Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for eight minutes or until almost tender; drain. Return macaroni to pan.
- Meanwhile, heat margarine in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add flour, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder; cook, stirring, for two minutes or until smooth and combined. Gradually add macadamia milk, stirring continuously, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in vegan cheeses and nutritional yeast until cheeses melt; season to taste.
- Stir hot cheese sauce into hot macaroni until combined. Spoon macaroni mixture into bowls. Serve topped with tempeh bacon bits.
Tips: Tempeh bacon bits will keep refrigerated or up to one week. Scatter over sweet potatoes or salads for texture and flavor.
This article was originally written by Women's Weekly Food. For more, check out our sister site, Women's Weekly Food.