Talk about scary cupcakes! Kids of all ages will get a kick out of our bloody good bites.
1 hr., 20 min.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓½ cup oil
- 1 cup butter, at room temp.
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 24 black gumdrops
- Black decorating sugar
- 72 miniature marshmallows
- Light corn syrup
- Red concentrated food coloring
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Prepare mix with 1 cup water, eggs and oil according to package directions; divide among liners. Bake until pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20–22 min. Cool 10 min. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, 2 min. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2–3 min. Cover; chill 30 min. Knead 3 gumdrops together; roll out to ⅛ ” thickness. Sprinkle and press with sugar. Cut out 3 (2½”x1″) lip shapes. Repeat with remaining gumdrops. Halve 48 marshmallows; cut into fangs. Attach to lips with corn syrup.
- Transfer frosting to pastry bag fitted with ½” plain tip. Pipe onto cupcakes. Top with lips, propping up with remaining marshmallows. Tint 1 Tbs. corn syrup with food coloring; drizzle on fangs.