Folks will be dying to get a taste of this treat that doubles as a showstopping centerpiece for a ghoulishly good gathering.
- ⅛ tsp. tylose powder, such as Wilton
- 2 Tbs. white fondant, such as Wilton Decorator Preferred
- 6″ wooden skewer
- 1 cup dark cocoa candy melts, melted
- Leaf sprinkles
- 4 vanilla sugar wafer cookies
- 4 Nutter Butter cookies
- 3 cups butter (1 ½ lbs.), at room temp.
- 7 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbs. milk
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 24 chocolate cupcakes
- 2 cups ground Oreo cookies, about 16
- Mellowcreme pumpkin candies
- 1 can green decorating cake icing
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper. Knead tylose into fondant. Roll between two sheets of wax paper to ⅛” thickness. Using 1½” ghost-shaped cutter, cut out ghosts, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Transfer to baking sheet; dry 4 hrs.
- Break skewers in half; place halves 6″–8″ apart on baking sheet. Transfer candy melts to disposable pastry bag; snip small hole in tip. Pipe 5″-tall by about 4″-wide tree shape over each skewer, leaving about 1″ of skewer at bottom uncovered and going over lines several times until about ⅛” thick. Press leaf sprinkles onto trees.
- Pipe inscriptions onto cookies for tombstones; pipe eyes onto ghosts. Let dry.
- Microwave remaining candy melts on medium in 15-second intervals until fluid. Attach ghosts to trees and tombstones with piped dots of candy.
- On medium speed, beat 1½ cups butter until fluffy. On low, gradually beat in 3½ cups sugar, 1 Tbs. milk and 1½ tsp. vanilla. On medium-high, beat until fluffy.
- Prepare second batch of frosting with remaining butter, sugar, vanilla and 1 Tbs. milk. Combine frostings; beat in cocoa and remaining 1 Tbs. milk.
- Arrange cupcakes close on platter. Pipe frosting over cupcakes, connecting them with more frosting. Sprinkle with ground cookies. Insert tombstones, trees, ghosts and pumpkin candies into frosting. Pipe green decorating icing around graveyard as desired.