Here’s a black cat everyone will be glad crossed their path: our purrfect-for-Halloween chocolate cupcakes in festive holiday colors.
- ¼ tsp. tylose powder, such as Wilton
- ½ cup black fondant, such as Wilton Decorator Preferred
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. dark chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, chopped
- 2 cups butter (1 lb.), at room temp.
- 1 (16 oz.) cont.Marshmallow Fluff
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, from 2 (16 oz.) pkgs.
- 1¼ tsp. orange extract
- Orange concentrated food coloring
- Light corn syrup
- Black edible glitter
- Orange decorating sugar
- Green jumbo rainbow nonpareil sprinkles
- Purple confetti sprinkles
- Green, purple and black jimmies
- 12 marshmallows, halved
- 5′ licorice laces, cut into 2½”-long pieces
- Line baking sheet with wax paper. Knead tylose into fondant. Between two sheets of wax paper, roll out fondant to 1/16″ thickness. Using 1¾” and 1¼” heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut out 24 hearts of each size. Transfer to baking sheet; dry overnight. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs, oil and cinnamon until blended, 30 seconds; on medium, beat 2 minutes. Evenly divide batter among liners; sprinkle with chopped chocolate chips. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Transfer from pans to racks; cool completely.
- On medium, beat butter until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add Fluff; beat until blended. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then extract. On medium-high, beat until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Tint orange with food coloring. Transfer ⅓ cup frosting to disposable pastry bag; snip ⅛” hole from tip; reserve. Transfer remaining frosting to disposable pastry bag fitted with ½” plain tip (such as Wilton #2A).
- Lightly brush half of larger hearts with corn syrup; sprinkle with edible glitter. Pipe thin border of frosting along edges of remaining large hearts; for ears, pipe frosting triangles on small hearts. Sprinkle borders and ears with orange sugar. For faces, with corn syrup, attach nonpareils, confetti and jimmies to small hearts; let dry. Attach small hearts to large hearts with frosting; refrigerate until set, 15 minutes. Pipe frosting on cupcakes; sprinkle with jimmies. Top cupcakes with cats, placing marshmallow halves behind for support if necessary. For tails, insert licorice.