Courtesy of McCormick Flavor Forecast
Mushrooms and carrots are the perfect stand-in for taco meat in this tempting tinga with smoky tomato-chipotle sauce. For an authentic Mexican presentation, serve in corn tortillas or tostadas with lime, diced tomato, refried beans, and vegan cheese or vegan sour cream.
This recipe is courtesy of McCormick Flavor Forecast.
- 2 tsp McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt from McCormick Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp McCormick Paprika
- 3 c onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c grated carrots
- 2 lb oyster mushrooms, cut into thin strips
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper
Mix garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomato paste and paprika; cook two minutes, stirring constantly. Add onions and carrots and cook until softened. Stir in spice mixture and sliced mushrooms; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, place tomatoes and chipotle chili pepper in blender container; cover. Blend on high until smooth.
Add tomato mixture to the pan with mushroom mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until liquid has been reduced to about one-fourth its original volume and has the consistency of pulled chicken.
Serve with your favorite vegan accompaniments, such as corn tortillas or tostadas, fresh lime wedges, diced tomatoes, refried beans, shredded lettuce, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, cilantro, fresh salsa, and/or fresh chilies.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Make sure to cut the mushrooms and onions into thin strips to mimic pulled or shredded meat.
• The purpose of cooking down the veggie mixture until it has reduced to one-fourth its original volume is to concentrate the flavor and give it the look and feel of shredded meat.
Per serving: Calories: 120 Protein: 5 grams Fat: 4 grams (1 gram saturated) Cholesterol: 0 milligrams Carbohydrates: 16 grams Sodium: 332 milligrams Fiber: 4 grams Sugar: 5 grams