The not-so-secret secret to the best barbacoa? Spices. Which is why this vegan version uses no less than six! Grilled and shredded eggplant and thinly sliced mushrooms are the perfect stand-in for traditional lamb or beef. Enjoy in corn tortillas with lime wedges, diced tomato, pickled onions, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, vegan cheese and vegan sour cream.
This recipe is courtesy of McCormick Flavor Forecast.
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.
- 1 tbsp. McCormick Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. McCormick Cumin, Ground
- 1 tsp. McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. McCormick Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large eggplant cut in half lengthwise
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 medium white onion thinly sliced (about one cup)
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes
- 2 large sheets heavy duty aluminum foil (about 24 inches long)
- 1/2 lime juiced
Prepare grill for indirect heat by turning all burners to high. Mix spices and salt in small bowl.
Score cut side of eggplant with diagonal crisscross cuts about one-inch apart, leaving skin intact. Brush tops of mushroom caps and cut-side of eggplant with oil. Sprinkle both mushrooms and eggplant evenly with 1/2 (about four teaspoons) of the spice mixture, making sure seasoning gets into cuts in eggplant.
Grill mushroom caps and eggplant over direct heat until charred, about five minutes per side. Turn off burners on one side of grill.
Place onion in center of double layer of foil. Sprinkle with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Place charred eggplant, cut side up, on top of the onions. Arrange diced tomatoes over top of the eggplant and sprinkle with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Top each eggplant half with two portobello mushrooms and sprinkle with remaining spice mixture. Bring up long sides of foil and fold to seal. Then fold in short sides to form a tightly sealed packet.
Place foil packet on unlit side of the grill. Cook 10 minutes. Flip packet over and cook 10 minutes longer, until eggplant is tender and can be easily separated from skin.
Carefully remove packet from grill and open foil to allow steam to escape; let cool slightly. Remove mushrooms from packet and slice into very thin strips. Peel skin from the eggplant and discard. “Shred” eggplant with two forks and mix with onions. Stir in sliced mushrooms and sprinkle mixture with lime juice.
Serve vegan barbacoa mixture in warm corn tortillas, if desired, with lime wedges and toppings such as diced tomato, pickled onions, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, vegan cheese, and vegan sour cream.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Score eggplant most of the way through, leaving the skin intact, to allow the spice mixture to get into the cuts for even flavor.
• Slicing the mushrooms into very thin strips and “shredding” the eggplant will give you a more meat-like texture.
• If you don’t have a grill, place eggplant and mushrooms on a shallow baking pan and broil on high about five minutes per side or until nicely charred.
• After charring the veggies and forming the foil packet as directed, you can finish cooking in the oven. Roast packets in preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 20 minutes, flipping packets over halfway through cooking.
Per serving: Calories: 80 Protein: 2 grams Fat: 4 grams (1 gram saturated) Cholesterol: 0 milligrams Carbohydrates: 9 grams Sodium: 317 milligrams Fiber: 3 grams Sugar: 4 grams