A pumpkin pie’s velvety smooth pie filling and buttery crust makes it a worthy addition to your Thanksgiving dessert spread. If you’re an avid baker, treating your loved ones to a homemade pie is an act of love. If you’re not a baker, buying a store bought pie is a sweet substitute. (It’s the thought that counts, after all!) But while ready-made pumpkin pies are popular as a no-stress holiday dessert solution, a couple of simple tricks can turn an ordinary pumpkin pie into two extraordinary desserts that taste like you spent hours baking.
How To Make 2 Desserts Using One Pumpkin Pie
In her TikTok (@macy.blackwell), blogger Macy Blackwell demonstrates how to make nine mini pumpkin pies and 22 white chocolate-covered truffles from one store bought pie. She uses a round cookie cutter to shape the pies, while the truffles are made with a potato masher. The mini pies are a light, portion-controlled dessert for adult guests: and the truffles are ideal for kids who love a hands-on sweet treat. Remember that pre-made pies come in eight- to 10-inch sizes, so you’ll need an extra pie or two for a larger crowd. You can also try this hack on sweet potato pie (because its creamy filling is similar to pumpkin pie filling). Prepare these desserts ahead of time to stay in the stress-free zone. Here are Blackwell’s steps for taking a store bought pumpkin pie to the next level:
Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Insert a small round cookie cutter into the pie until it reaches the bottom of the crust. Gently lift and place mini pumpkin pie onto a serving plate.
- Repeat until all mini pies are formed. Place in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
- Dollop whipped cream onto each pie and serve.
White Chocolate-Covered Pumpkin Pie Truffles
- Mash up the leftover pie in a bowl and roll into one-inch balls.
- Freeze on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Dip the balls into melted white chocolate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before the chocolate firms up.
- Stick back in the freezer until ready to serve.
Supermarket Servings That Everyone Will Love
These sweet Thanksgiving treats prove that baking homemade desserts from scratch isn’t a holiday requirement. Simply use a ready-made pumpkin pie to impress your Thanksgiving guests and end the meal on a sweet note. Looking for more sugary inspiration? Take a look at these pecan-pie inspired desserts that will convince you to ditch your pie tin!