When most people hear the word "bathroom spa," images of major remodels and demo work start to form in their minds. But transforming your bathroom into a blissful oasis of luxury isn't as intensive as it might sound. In fact, with the addition of just a few simple accent pieces, luxe beauty products, and clever bathroom accessories, you could be kicking back in your own personal home resort in no time.
Read on for five ways to turn your bathroom into a heavenly spa-like retreat.
How to Turn Your Bathroom Into a Spa
1. Upgrade your shower/bath: Upgrading doesn't necessarily mean starting from scratch. You can make small, affordable improvements to your shower or bath by switching out your shower head or faucet for a clean new model. Rain shower heads, like this Sarlai stainless steel adjustable model ($29.95), or this MeSun showerhead ($38.99) offer up an added bit of luxury with a waterfall-like stream, while little extras, such as chic shower caddies or decorative storage bottles make for nice touches. If you're working with a bath, introducing products such as a bath tray or a full-body pillow will instantly up the spa factor on your washing station.
2. Create some ambiance. Spas are big on ambiance, so setting the mood in your bathroom is a must. If you're handy, replace your light switch with a dimmer for easy mood-lighting control. Scent is another mood-making element, so invest in some good candles or an essential oil diffuser for an easy way to set the right tone.
3. Introduce some earthy accents. Another simple way to bring a spa-like feel to any bathroom is to add some greenery to the mix. Whether you opt for a fabulous indoor plant — have you checked out Amazon's plant store yet? — or a hassle-free faux option, you'll find the second you introduce a little green to the mix, your private spa will begin to take shape. Throw in some wood accents (natural bamboo mats, anyone?) and other earth-colored accessories for an added powerful effect.
4. Invest in a good speaker. Spas are known for their ability to hone in on our senses. While sight and smell may be the most obvious, it's important not to forget the power of sound. Most facilities play relaxing music to get you in the right headspace for your treatment, so why not bring the tactic home with a great speaker of your own? Opt for one of a bluetooth variety, so you can control your own soothing soundtrack from your tub without interrupting your soak.
5. Don't forget the skincare. Since skincare is such a large part of a proper spa visit, you'll want to stock up on some stellar beauty finds. Whether switch things up with a brand new scented conditioner, lather up with a favorite moisturizer, or finally pick up that pricey serum you've had your eye on, don't forget to treat yourself.
The Best Bathroom Spa Accessories
Ready to kick your relaxation into high-gear? Keep scrolling for FIRST's picks for the best bathroom spa accessories that will help you turn your humble powder room into a five-star spa in no time.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.