National Honey Board
Honey is so much more versatile than we tend to assume. It’s not just a gooey topping for desserts or natural sweetener for drinks — although those are great uses for honey too, of course. According to the National Honey Board, natural honey can also help maintain muscle glycogen, which is the stored energy that keeps us moving through the day. That nutritional boost is what makes this delicious breakfast sandwich recipe the perfect choice for your morning — especially if you plan to hit the gym. The sweet and spicy honey chili dressing balances out the savory egg, avocado, and bacon for a lip-smacking meal your family will love.
Honey Chili Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 1 avocado
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 slices whole grain sandwich bread
- 4 large eggs
- In small bowl, combine the honey, white wine vinegar, and salt. Whisk until combined and add the chili flakes.
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado flesh from the skin and set the two sides on a cutting board, face down. Use your knife to cut thin slices of avocado.
- Cut each slice of bacon into 1/4-inch pieces and cook in a skillet on medium heat until the bacon is cooked through and crispy, about 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and place on top of 2 paper towels on a plate.
- Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining bacon fat in the skillet and toast.
- Fry 4 eggs and set aside.
- Place avocado evenly between 4 pieces of toast. Brush top with some of the honey chili dressing.
- Place crispy bacon bits on top of avocado.
- Place fried egg on top of bacon. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the honey chili dressing over top.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jessica Koslow, made for the National Honey Board.