No one will guess this layered showstopper starts with cake mix.
2 hrs., 20 min.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. strawberry cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1½ cups butter, at room temp.
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar, from 2 (16 oz.) pkgs.
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Mango slices (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 (9″) round cake pans with cooking spray. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs and oil 30 sec.; on medium, beat 2 min. Divide between pans. Bake until done, 22–24 min.; let cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter until creamy. On low speed, beat in sugar, then ¼ cup water and extract until blended. On medium-high speed, beat until fluffy. Fill and frost cake layers with frosting. Press coconut onto side. Garnish with fruit.