We doctored up a box of white cake mix using watermelon puree and flavored vodka to take it to the next level. For more classic flavors, click through for our shortcut mojito cupcakes.
- 1 (16.5 oz.) pkg. white cake mix
- ⅔ cup strained watermelon purée, from 1⅓ cups (1”) seedless watermelon cubes
- 3 egg whites
- 1⅓ cups salty watermelon flavored vodka (such as UV)
- ¼ cup oil
- 30 drops liquid red food coloring
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- 30 drops liquid green food coloring
- 1½ cups butter, at room temp.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Watermelon fruit slice candies, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, watermelon purée, egg whites, ⅓ cup vodka and oil until combined. 30 seconds. On medium, beat 2 minutes. Stir in red food coloring. Divide among cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Immediately, using fork, poke 6 sets of holes into top of each cupcake. Brush tops with remaining 1 cup vodka. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- On low, gradually beat ¼ cup water, peppermint extract and green food coloring into frosting until just blended. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Pipe over cupcakes; garnish