Sweet berries and tropical coconut combine for the ultimate treat — and a punch of dark rum makes it extra fun.
- 1 (16.5 oz.) pkg. strawberry cake mix
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups dark rum
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 Tbs. + ½ tsp. coconut extract
- 1½ cups butter, at room temp.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 18 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1¼ cups coconut milk (reserve remaining for frosting), eggs, ¼ cup rum and oil until combined, 30 seconds.
- On medium, beat 2 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbs. coconut extract. Divide among cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Immediately, with fork, poke top of each cupcake 6 times. Brush tops with remaining 1 cup rum. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- On medium speed, beat butter until fluffy, 2 minutes. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then gradually beat in reserved coconut milk. Beat in remaining ½ tsp. coconut extract until just blended. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer frosting to pastry bag fitted with ½” plain tip. Pipe over cupcakes; press on coconut to cover. Garnish with strawberries.