Easy from-scratch berry frosting gives these treats a hint of eye-catching purple.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- ½ cup blackberries + additional
- 1⅓ cups butter, at room temp.
- 2⅔ cups confectioners’ sugar + additional
- Violet and red concentrated food colorings
- 1¼ cups flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line 20 muffin cups with liners. Prepare cake mix per package directions with egg whites, oil and 1 cup water. Stir in extract. Divide among liners. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18–20 min. Let cool.
- In food processor, process ½ cup blackberries until smooth. Using spoon, stir and push through strainer. On medium speed, beat butter until fluffy, 2 min. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2–3 min. Transfer 1¼ cups frosting to pastry bag fitted with large plain tip. Beat berry mixture into remaining frosting; tint with food colorings. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe white frosting on cakes; press in coconut. Pipe on blackberry frosting; chill.
- Just before serving, sprinkle additional blackberries with confectioners’ sugar; place one on each cupcake.