Your snack spread for game day or any gathering isn’t complete without a hearty homemade dip. Buffalo chicken dip in particular is easy to whip up and bakes in just 20 minutes. What you end up with is a dip that’s creamy, tangy and spicy all in one. It’s also simple to put a nutritious spin on this starter by adding a surprise ingredient: canned white beans. This pantry staple gives the dip a nice dose of protein and fiber, making it nourishing. Plus, the beans’ plain flavor pairs well with the boldness of other ingredients in the dish like Buffalo wing sauce and garlic powder. Keep reading to learn more about making a healthy version of buffalo chicken dip that will be the star of the appetizer table!
What is Buffalo chicken dip?
This dip is made by mixing together cooked chicken, Buffalo wing sauce, cream cheese, seasonings and shredded cheese. Next, the mixture gets placed into a dish, topped with extra cheese and baked until it’s warm and golden brown. You’ll find that the dip tastes spicy like actual Buffalo wings, but it has an added zesty and creamy flavor thanks to the cheeses and seasonings. In addition to being full of yummy goodness, this dip is filling and nutritious when you add canned beans to the base.
A nutritionist’s secret to lighter Buffalo chicken dip
White beans such as cannellini beans are buttery and brimming with nutrients. “Not only do these beans increase the protein content of this dip, but they also provide a great source of fiber for ultimate satiety,” Brittany Placencia, nutritionist and founder at Simple Plate Nutrition says. A ½ cup serving of cannellini beans contains 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. Since these nutrients keep you fuller longer, you’ll feel satisfied within the first portion of this dip. (Though, you won’t feel too stuffed to go back for seconds.) The best part about adding beans to the dip? You can “hide” them in the mixture with a simple step!
Easy trick for adding the beans to the appetizer
Before adding the beans to the dip mixture, Placencia bends them with a small amount of water. This breaks up the beans so they form a smooth paste that’s easy to incorporate with the other ingredients. Blending the beans also helps form a velvety consistency within the dip, making them barely noticeable as you’re serving and enjoying it.
A healthy Buffalo chicken dip recipe
Below, you can find Placencia’s Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe — which is lighter but just as delicious as the classic version. You can adjust the amounts of Buffalo sauce and garlic powder to your liking, and then serve the snack with your favorite dippers!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8oz.) block of cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup Buffalo wing sauce (any spice level)
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese + additional
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese + additional
- 2 Tbs. regular or roasted garlic powder
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions + additional for garnish
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Olive or avocado oil cooking spray
- Yield: 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Pour beans into blender or food processor with generous splash of water. Blend until a smooth paste forms. Dribble in more water if mixture is too dry.
- In large bowl, mix chicken, puréed beans, cream cheese, Buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, ½ cup each of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, garlic powder, ⅓ cup green onions, salt and pepper. Once fully combined, transfer to greased baking dish. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese to completely cover surface.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool about 5 minutes. Top with extra sprinkling of green onions and enjoy!
5 best dippers for Buffalo chicken dip
Serve your warm and cheesy Buffalo chicken dip with any of these five delicious dippers!
1. Tortilla chips
Yellow, white or blue corn tortilla chips give each bite of dip a nice crunch.
2. Sliced vegetables
Sticks of carrots or celery are a dipper option that’s both crunchy and refreshing.
3. Toasted bread
Golden brown slices of baguette or ciabatta nicely soak up the creaminess of the dip.
This treat adds a taste of saltiness to your portion of the starter.
5. Potato chips
Add plain potato chips to your dip platter for a touch of earthiness and saltiness.
Keep reading for more irresistible snack recipes!