Every year, as June turns into July, we start feeling an anticipatory sense of loss: Soon all the fresh-picked strawberries full of flavor will be gone. Sure, we’ll still be able to find those somewhat tasteless strawberries that are trucked in from a warmer growing locale, but the particular sweet flavor of our favorite locally-grown strawberries will be lacking. That’s why we were pleased to hear that there’s another way to enjoy the pop of flavor and health benefits of strawberries throughout the year: Freeze-dried strawberry powder. It contains all of the flavor and nutritional qualities of heirloom fresh fruit, and you can use strawberry powder to add a fruity twist to various foods and drinks at any time and adds a pop of strawberry flavor to smoothies, yogurt, baked goods and more.
Keep reading to discover the health benefits of freeze-dried strawberry powder and how to use it to get your strawberry flavor fix all year round.
How is freeze-dried strawberry powder made?
Pure freeze-dried strawberry powder only contains one ingredient: the fruit itself. This vibrant, pink powder is made from dehydrated strawberries that are blended until finely ground. You can find freeze-dried strawberry powder like Kate Naturals Store Organic Freeze Dried Strawberry Powder (Buy on Amazon, $9.99) sold in health stores and online.
What are the benefits of freeze-dried strawberry powder?
Pure freeze-dried strawberry powder doesn’t contain added ingredients, which makes it a nutritious addition to a variety of foods and drinks. A 6-gram serving of strawberry powder — which is roughly 1/2 a tablespoon — contains 22 calories, 1 gram of protein and the same nutrients that are found in the raw fruit.
Here are three key benefits of consuming strawberries as part of a balanced diet.
1. Strawberry powder lowers bad cholesterol
A 2015 study found that strawberry powder showed promising results for reducing LDL (or “bad”) cholesterol levels in participants who consumed 32 grams (which is a little more than 2 tablespoons) of it every day for one-month period. Research credit this benefit to polyphenols are a type of antioxidant in the powder that’s been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects.
2. Strawberry powder is anti-inflammatory
According to Elysia Cartlidge, MAN, RD, registered dietitian and founder Healthy Kids Recipes and Haute & Healthy Living, consuming this powder can greatly benefit your heart and brain health. “Strawberry powder contains [antioxidants including] anthocyanins and polyphenols,” she explains, “which possess anti-inflammatory properties, thus contributing to heart health and improved brain function.”
3. Strawberry powder is safe for diabetics
Cartlidge notes that strawberry powder has a low glycemic index, so it’s unlikely to affect your blood sugar levels. Therefore, you can enjoy this powder without worrying about blood sugar spikes afterwards — a win-win!
What’s the best way to use strawberry powder?
Adding strawberry powder to your favorite foods and drinks infuses them with the fruit’s naturally sweet and tart flavor — no chopping and slicing required!
Below, Ashley Carlotta, certified health accountability coach and nutritionist for Better Health by Accountability Coaching, shares seven ways to make this powder a staple ingredient in your daily meals. (Note: Customize the amount of powder used in recipes based on your flavor preferences.)
- Smoothies: Add a tablespoon or two of this powder to your favorite smoothie recipe for a mild, tart taste.
- Baked goods: Incorporate strawberry powder into cakes, muffins, cookies or pancakes for a delightful strawberry twist. Mix it into the batter or use it in the frosting or glaze.
- Yogurt and oatmeal: Sprinkle this powder over yogurt or mix it into oatmeal to add flavor and a pop of color to your breakfast.
- Salad dressing: Combine a small amount of strawberry powder with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, a squeeze of honey and your favorite herbs for a unique and fruity salad dressing.
- Ice cream and popsicles: Add strawberry powder to your homemade ice cream or popsicle recipes to infuse them with tanginess.
- Sauces and dips: Mix strawberry powder into sauces and dips like BBQ sauce or cream cheese-based dips for a hint of freshness.
- Beverages: Use the powder as an additional flavoring in lemonades, iced teas, or cocktails to give the drinks a refreshing strawberry twist.
Overall, freeze-dried strawberry powder is a worthy pantry staple — but we’re not saying you should ditch fresh strawberries forever. The fruit is delicious on its own, of course, and helps lower blood pressure, balance gut health and improve memory. Strawberry powder is just another way to enjoy the fruit’s taste and nutritional perks without having to worry about it spoiling in the fridge!
This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice or diagnosis. Always consult your physician before pursuing any treatment plan.
First For Women aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission.
Questions? Reach us at email@example.com
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.