We love to pretty up our nails for holidays like the Fourth of July—and what better way to make a summery and stunning statement than with red white blue nails! Whether you prefer to do your nails at home or head to a nail salon, read on for the eye-catching designs that are sure to inspire your next manicure or pedicure. Just grab your polishes and start swiping.
1. Classic stars and stripes
“The bright combination of rhinestone stars, blue and red polish evokes our beautiful flag with an artistic flair!” says celebrity manicurist Patricia Yankee. “It’s the perfect manicure for Independence Day!”
Get the look:
- Apply two coats of opaque red polish such as OPI Nail Lacquer in Big Apple Red (Buy from Amazon, $11.49) to your thumb, middle and pinky fingers. Allow to dry.
- On your middle finger, use a white nail art polish such as Finger Paints Striping Polish in Hip Hip Hue-Ray! (Buy from SallyBeauty, $3.89) to paint white horizontal stripes over the red.
- Apply two coats of opaque blue polish such as Nails Inc. Gel Effect in Baker Street (Buy from Nails Inc., $15) on your index and ring fingers. Then use a toothpick to place rhinestone stars such as VAGA Manicure Stones Star Shape Design (Buy from Amazon, $3.99) over the blue polish.
- Finish with top coat.
2. Patriotic polka dots
Take a plain white polish base like Sally Hansen in White On (Buy from Amazon, $2.97) and jazz it up by adding red and blue polka dots. This design can be easily DIY’d—just use the ball end of a bobby pin dipped in red polish like OPI in Big Apple Red (Buy from Amazon, $11.49) and blue polish like essie Butler Please (Buy from Amazon.com, $9.20) and dot onto white nails.
3. Pretty patriotic pedicure
This star spangled banner-inspired look will beautify your toes so they stand out when wearing sandals.
Get the look:
- Paint all nails with a red polish like OPI in Big Apple Red (Buy from Amazon.com, $11.49). Let dry.
- With a white nail art polish pen like Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Pen in White (Buy from Amazon, $5.38), tip the free edges of your big toes in a thick, white crescent. Let dry.
- With a blue nail art pen like Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Pen in Blue (Buy from Walmart, $6.50) coat half of the white crescents with a thin, blue crescent. Let dry.
- With a toothpick and a dot of clear nail polish, apply small star-shaped rhinestones on your big toes, within the red polish. Finish with top coat.
4. Sparkly red white blue ombre
All it takes to create this mani by @lojodoesnailz on Instagram is to paint stripes of red, silver and blue polish onto a makeup sponge and stamp onto nails—so simple!
5. Dazzling dots and stripes
This mix and match dots and stripes design from YouTuber Hannah Lee of HannahRoxNails gives nails major patriotic pizzazz. Following the how-to video makes it a cinch.
6. Amazing American flag
Bring the stars and stripes of the flag right to your nails by following this simple tutorial from Erika of Forever Nails on YouTube.
7. Firework French Tips
8. Standout stars
Your nails will be shinning with this pop art-like starry look from @meganrnails on Instagram.
9. Americana tie dye
Give summery tie dye nails a flag-inspired spin in a red, white and blue color palette like the one above from @xjuliatalisman on Instagram.
10. Wow-worthy waves
For a subtle look, go with this wave-inspired design by @beautyby_cane on Instagram that uses polishes in shades of red, white, cobalt blue, turquoise and silver.