This colorful main meal is lightly tossed in an oil-and-vinegar dressing for the perfect touch of tang.
- 1 lb. golden beets, peeled
- 8 cups watercress and/or spinach
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup light oil-and-vinegar dressing
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Wrap beets in aluminum foil; seal tightly. Roast 1 hr. or until beets are tender. Let cool; chop.
- Place 7 cups watercress and/or spinach leaves on serving platter.
- Starting at one end of serving platter, arrange cabbage, beans, peppers, carrots, eggs, cucumbers, snow peas and 1 cup watercress and/or spinach in rows to create rainbow. Serve salad with oil-and-vinegar dressing.