This crunchy basket of chicken can be made up to several hours ahead – it’s just as delectable served at room temperature.
- 2 qts. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 (3-4 lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking, or until deep-frying thermometer registers 350°F. In small bowl, combine garlic powder, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. In bowl, whisk together eggs and hot sauce. Place flour in pie plate.
- Heat oven to 200°F. Set rack over baking sheet; place in oven. Season both sides of chicken pieces with seasoned salt; dip each piece into egg mixture, then coat with flour.
- In batches, fry chicken, flipping once, until golden and no longer pink near bone, 5–10 min. per side. Place cooked chicken on rack set over
baking sheet in oven to keep warm while frying remaining chicken.