This clever cupcake is a sweet twist on a juicy summertime favorite that you can enjoy any time of the year.
2hrs., 30 min.
- Kelly green and pink concentrated food colorings
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 (3 oz.) pkgs. watermelon-flavored gelatin mix
- 6 Tbs. boiling water
- 1 lb. butter, at room temperature
- 1 (16 oz.) cont. Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 16 (8 oz.) canning jars or glasses
- 3 Tbs. mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Using small paint brush, paint vertical lines of green food coloring inside each liner. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, egg whites and oil until blended, 30 sec.; on medium, beat 2 min. Stir in ⅛ tsp. green food coloring. Evenly divide batter among liners. Bake until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 18-20 min. Cool 10 min. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
- In bowl, stir together gelatin mixes and boiling water until dissolved; cool 5 min. Meanwhile, on medium, beat butter and Fluff until combined. On low, in slow steady stream, pour in gelatin mixture while beating until combined. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until blended. Tint pink with food coloring; transfer to pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Remove cupcakes from liners; halve each crosswise. In bottom of each jar, place 1 cupcake half cut side up. Pipe on about 2 Tbs. frosting. Repeat layering 2 more times, placing top cupcake cut side down, ending with frosting. Garnish with chocolate chips.