French vanilla cake, apple pie filling and cinnamon buttercream layer up for a sweet finale.
1 hr., 20 mins.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. French vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 7 Tbs. butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups butter, at room temperature
- 4½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbs. milk
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 (21 oz.) cans apple pie filling
- ½ cup red currant jelly, melted
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 12 (8 oz.) jars, such as canning
- Marzipan apples and mint sprigs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with baking spray with flour and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners. In bowl, combine flour, ¾ cup dry cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in butter until crumbly; reserve.
- On medium-high speed, beat remaining cake mix with milk, sour cream and eggs until fluffy, about 2 min. Spoon 1 Tbs. batter into each of 12 unlined muffin cups. Equally divide crumb mixture among batter in 12 muffin cups, about ¼ cup per. Divide remaining batter among lined muffin cups. Bake all cupcakes until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean ,15 min
- On medium, beat butter until fluffy, 1-2 min. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then milk and cinnamon; on medium-high, beat until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Combine apple pie filling, jelly and lemon juice.
- Reserve ¾ cup frosting. Transfer remaining frosting to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Remove cupcakes from paper liners; cut each in half crosswise. In each jar, layer 1 cupcake slice, 1 rounded Tbs. apple filling, about 2½ Tbs. frosting; repeat layering ending with frosting.
- Top each jar with 1 crumb-topped cupcake. Transfer reserved frosting to pastry bag; pipe on top of cupcakes. Garnish with marzipan apple and mint.