A quick and delicious bread sans gluten, sugar, and dairy? Yes, it’s possible! This healthy recipe also includes the steps for a vegan cashew “cream cheese.” Teff flour is derived from the seeds of a hardy grass and is a staple in Ethiopia, where it is used to make injera, a fermented flatbread. Teff is high in protein, calcium, and resistant starch, a form of dietary fiber that can help with blood-sugar management. The pleasant nutty taste and its gluten-free status have contributed to its popularity in western countries. Try this recipe for Teff flatbread topped with halved or quartered mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes and small basil leaves, seasoned with salt and pepper. Though it needs to be prepared at least a day ahead, it’s well worth it! To make our Four-Step Gluten-Free Teff Flatbread With Vegan “Cream Cheese,” follow the recipe below.
Teff Flat Bread
- 2/3 cup teff flour
- 1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp. nigella seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. coconut oil or cooking oil spray
Cashew “Cream Cheese”
- 1 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp. sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- To make cashew cream cheese, place cashews in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit covered for four hours or overnight. Drain cashews and rinse under cold water, drain well. Blend nuts with remaining ingredients, using a high-powered blender if available (makes two cups).
- Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl; stir in salt and seeds. Make a well in the center, and then whisk in water, eggs, and vinegar.
- Heat an eight-inch-wide, six-inch base non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with 1/4 teaspoon of the coconut oil or coat lightly with oil spray. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into hot pan; spread with an offset palette knife to cover pan. Cook for two minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer flatbread to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make four flatbreads. Cut into wedges and serve topped with cashew cream cheese.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Women’s Weekly Food.
More From FIRST
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.