Beer, mustard and Tabasco give this fondue lots of flavor.
- 2 slices American cheese
- 10 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) btle. lager beer
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. mustard powder
- ½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. sharp Cheddar Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs. ketchup
- 2 tsp. black concentrated food coloring
- Assorted dippers, such as cooked Tater Tots, broccoli and cauliflower florets, carrot and jicama sticks
- Using kitchen scissors, cut out eyes, nose and mouth from American cheese; cover and reserve.
- Using ghost-shaped cookie cutters, cut out shapes from bread. If desired, toast or broil ghosts.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, 8–10 min. Add beer, Worcestershire, mustard, Tabasco and salt; bring to simmer. In four batches, stir in Velveeta and shredded Cheddar, stirring until completely melted before adding next batch. Pour into fondue pot; keep warm over low heat.
- Just before serving, mix ketchup and food coloring; brush over cheese face features; place on fondue. Serve with ghosts and dippers.