With a little bit of Halloween magic, we transformed classic crab rangoon into a frightfully festive treat.
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. eggroll wrappers
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. chive & onion cream cheese spread
- 1 qt. oil
- 5 olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 Tbs. pink peppercorns
- Duck sauce
- Working with one at a time, place 1 Tbs. cream cheese spread in center of wrapper; lightly brush edges with water. Bring one corner of wrapper up over filling to meet opposite corner. Fold point back over filling; moisten edges and pressing together to seal. Gently pull ends up on both sides of wrapper to create bat wings. Repeat filling and shaping remaining wrappers.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat to 350°F. Working in batches, fry bats until crisp and golden, turning once, 1 min. per side. Cool.
- Transfer remaining cream cheese spread to pastry bag fitted with small round tip; pipe dots on bats for attaching eyes. Place olive slices on dots, then pipe more cream cheese on top of olive slices and add peppercorns for pupils. For mouths, pipe on dots; add peppercorns.