Make any occasion extra-special with pastel-pretty strawberry, lemon and vanilla cupcakes.
2 hrs., 30 min.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. white cake mix
- Water, 3 eggs and ⅓ cup oil
- 2 tsp. strawberry extract
- Pink, lemon yellow and violet concentrated food colorings
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 8 (8 oz. each) regular canning jars
- Confetti sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (9”) cake pans with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix with eggs and oil and 1 cup water according to package directions. Divide among three bowls. Tint one bowl pink with food coloring; stir in strawberry extract. Tint one bowl yellow; stir in zest. Tint remaining bowl light purple. Spread batters in separate pans. Bake until pick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 15 min. Cool 15 min. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter 2 min. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then vanilla and milk. On medium-high, beat until fluffy; divide among three bowls. Tint one bowl pink, one light yellow and remaining bowl light purple. Transfer each frosting to separate pastry bag fitted with medium star tip.
- Using 2” round cutter, cut out 8 rounds from each cake layer. In each jar, layer cake rounds with matching frosting. Garnish as desired. Makes 8 jars.