This 5-Ingredient Mashed Pumpkin Is a Savory Side Dish Perfect for Autumn
Take a break from traditional mashed potatoes with this simple and delicious mashed pumpkin dish. It’s perfect alongside a tender steak or pork cutlets, or atop a hearty shepherd’s pie. Can you think of a better way to enjoy the seasonal produce this autumn? With just five ingredients, this savory side dish will have all your dinner guests begging for seconds.
- 2.6 lbs. piece pumpkin, peeled, seeded, chopped coarsely
- 1.5 oz. butter, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- whole nutmeg
- Steam or microwave the pumpkin until tender; drain well.
- Mash the pumpkin and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in chopped chives; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grate a little nutmeg over mashed pumpkin.
This recipe was originally written by Women’s Weekly Food editors. For more, check out our sister site, Women’s Weekly Food.
More From FIRST
No Dairy, No Problem: This Vegan Mac and Cheese Is a Creamy, Dreamy Dinner
7 Simple Make-Ahead Soup Recipes That Will Keep You Warm All Autumn Long
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts With Curly Kale and Bacon Bits Is Our New Favorite Dinner Mix