Take a break from traditional mashed potatoes with this simple and delicious mashed pumpkin dish. It’s perfect alongside a tender steak or pork cutlets, or atop a hearty shepherd’s pie. Can you think of a better way to enjoy the seasonal produce this autumn? With just five ingredients, this savory side dish will have all your dinner guests begging for seconds.
- 2.6 lbs. piece pumpkin, peeled, seeded, chopped coarsely
- 1.5 oz. butter, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- whole nutmeg
- Steam or microwave the pumpkin until tender; drain well.
- Mash the pumpkin and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in chopped chives; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grate a little nutmeg over mashed pumpkin.
This recipe was originally written by Women’s Weekly Food editors. For more, check out our sister site, Women’s Weekly Food.