“Crash dieting is not good for you and while I do not recommend it, if you’re determined to lose weight over a short period of time, there are a few things you can do,” says food coach Judy Davie. “But I can’t guarantee you’ll keep the weight off when you stop! One diet that can help you lose weight in as little as two weeks is The South Beach Diet.”
With this diet, during the first two weeks all carbohydrate-rich foods are prohibited. As carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel for energy, without them the body burns stored body fat instead.While it is absolutely not recommended to do this on an ongoing basis, with discipline it is an effective way to shift weight quickly. The basic rules are quite simple: Eat five times a day from the list of allowed foods shown below.
Throughout the day, drink plenty of water or herbals teas. Decaffeinated coffee and tea is permitted with low fat milk but no added sugar.
Foods to avoid
- All baked items (bread, biscuits, cakes, pastry)
- All grains (rice, wheat, oats, barley, couscous)
- Pasta and pasta products
- Potatoes and potato products (chips, French fries, wedges)
- High fat diary produce (ice-cream, whole milk, full fat cheeses including brie, cheddar, Camembert etc)
- Selected meat (fatty cuts, ribs, chicken/turkey wings and drumsticks, duck, processed meats, honey-baked ham, bacon, liver)
- Sweetened condiments, e.g. tomato, barbecue, sweet chili sauce
Foods to Eat
- Choose from 3.5 oz. lean meat, chicken, turkey breast, or boiled ham
- Fresh fish and fish canned in brine
- Low fat cheese and low fat dairy (2 cups a day)
- Up to 1/2 cup legumes or pulses (adzuki beans, black eyed peas, black beans, butter beans, kidney beans, lentils, lime beans, haricot beans etc.)
- Selected vegetables (artichokes, rocket, asparagus, broccoli, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, capers, cauliflower, celery, spinach, silverbeet, eggplant, endive, fennel, garlic, green beans, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peppers, pickles, radishes, spring onion, seaweed, snow peas, tomato, watercress, zucchini).
- 1 serving of any of the following nuts each day: 15 almonds, 4 brazil nuts, 15 cashews, 3 Tbsp. flax seeds, 25 hazelnuts, 8 macadamia nuts, 2 Tbsp. peanut butter, 20 peanuts, 1 tbs pine nuts, 30 pistachios, 3 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds, 3 Tbsp. sesame or sunflower seeds, 15 walnuts.
- 1/2 tbs of the following oils (canola, olive, corn, flax, grapeseed, safflower, sesame)
- Other fats (1/3 avocado, 1 Tbsp. no-sugar mayonnaise, 15 olives)
- Seasonings (pepper, no-added-sugar salsa, lemon and lime juice, horseradish sauce, 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce, tamari, 1/2 Tbsp. miso, stock).
As with any other diet, stepping up the amount of exercise you do is a sure fire way to increase weight loss, and eat early in the evening to allow your food to digest before going to bed.”
This article was originally written by food coach Judy Davie and appeared on our sister site, Now to Love.