Our Zucchini ‘Carbonara’ Is the Low-Carb Treat You Don’t Have to Regret
Need a lighter version of your favorite spaghetti carbonara? Then we’ve got just the thing for you. Our version of the classic favorite is the savory, low-carb dinner you’ve been craving. Besides, who needs carbs when you have bacon? Follow the recipe below to make our Zucchini Carbonara.
- 2 Tbsp. duck fat, ghee, or coconut oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices, diced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 zucchini, julienned
- 4 egg yolks (optional)
- To serve: macadamia nuts, finely grated
- To serve: chili flakes (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot
- 6 oz. chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- For egg sauce, whisk eggs and arrowroot in a bowl to combine. Bring stock and coconut cream to a boil in a saucepan. Add two oz. of the coconut and stock to egg mixture and whisk to combine. Then whisk in the remaining hot liquid. Return mixture to pan and cook over low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until sauce thickens (five to seven minutes). Season to taste and keep warm.
- Heat fat in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and fry, stirring occasionally until it just starts to color (three to five minutes). Reduce heat to medium, and add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent (eight to ten minutes). Add parsley, then add zucchini, and toss until just tender (two minutes).
- Remove from heat, toss egg sauce with zucchini, season to taste, and divide among bowls. Place an egg yolk on each portion (if using), and serve scattered with macadamia nuts, black pepper, or chili flakes.
This recipe was originally written by Pete Evans. For more, check out our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.
More From FIRST
This Fried Buffalo Cauliflower Appetizer Might Steal the Show at Your Next Dinner
How to Make Pudding Pops, The Frozen Treats That’ll Take You Back to Childhood
9 Thanksgiving Recipes That Will Make You the Star of the Potluck
ARNICARE FOR PAIN AND BRUISES!
Powered by Arnica montana, Arnicare® is designed to treat muscle pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruising. The unscented gel cools on contact and absorbs quickly into your skin, leaving no sticky or greasy residue, and provides you with the relief you seek. Learn more at Arnicare.com.