Need a tangy appetizer to impress a crowd? Chicken egg rolls just might your best bet. So much more fun than the usual chip-and-dip spread, these spicy, crunchy egg rolls are a great finger food to whip up quickly. Trust us: Your guests won’t believe you didn’t just dial for takeout!
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
4 slices of crispy bacon
2 cups of sharp shredded cheese
1 cup Rufus Teague Blazin’ Hot Sauce, Amazon
Rufus Teague Spicy Meat Rub, Amazon
2 ripe avocados
24 egg roll wrappers
peanut oil for frying
1. Set up your cooker for indirect cooking. Preheat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Add mesquite smoking wood.
2. Start by peeling the skin back on the chicken thighs. Fold it under the thigh meat. Dust the thigh meat with a liberal amount of Rufus Teague Spicy Meat rub.
3. Flip the skin back over the top of the thigh meat and repeat with another dusting of the Spicy Meat rub.
Tip: There will be a loose side where it was cut away from the rest of the bird.
4. Once the cooker has come to temperature, add the thighs. Allow these to smoke for approximately 45 minutes.
Tip: Use an instant read thermometer to make sure you achieve proper doneness. Cook these thighs to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Once the chicken thighs have reached the proper internal temperature, remove from the cooker. Allow the thighs to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Remove the skin and separate the chicken from the bones. We won’t be using the skin or the bones.
Tip: Don’t toss the skin and bones. Save them and use for stock!
7. Put the chicken into a food processor and pulse several times. You should get a shredded chicken consistency; 3-to-4 pulses should be enough.
8. Rough chop the bacon strips.
9. In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, chopped bacon, shredded cheese, and the Rufus Teague Blazin’ Hot Sauce. Mix thoroughly.
10. Preheat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and remove the flesh from the skin.
12. Lay out the egg roll papers. Spoon in about 2 spoon-fulls of the chicken, bacon, cheese, mixture, and top with 2 slices of avocado.
13. Dip your fingers in some water and wet the 4 sides of the roll paper. Wetting the wrapper will help hold it together.
14. Once your oil has reached temperature, drop in some of the rolls. Cook them for approximately 3-to-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the rolls from the oil and allow them to drain on a paper towel.
15. Serve with a side of Rufus Teague Blazin’ Hot Sauce and enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on <a target=”blank” href=”https://rufusteague.com/blogs/recipes/90949510-blazin-chicken-egg-rolls”>Rufus Teague._