Having a little something for everyone at your BBQ is a generous gesture. Sure, it’s extra work to make dishes that fit your guests’ dietary needs. But seeing even non-meat eater friends and family filling their plates can make your extra effort worthwhile. Adding some meatless options to the menu isn’t too tricky, especially with this three-ingredient recipe for the best veggie burgers we’ve made.
Why It’s Better to Make Veggie Burgers From Scratch
Store-bought veggie burgers are quick and come ready to grill (unless they’re frozen). However, the major downside is that pre-made patties aren’t so healthy.
“In a recent veggie burger taste test, I found varieties containing as many as 390 milligrams of sodium per patty; that’s 17 percent of the recommended daily amount,” Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, writes in an article on FoodNetwork.com.
Amidor adds that store-bought veggie burgers usually have a long list of ingredients and preservatives. So, she encourages everyone to make their own — in doing so, you can control the ingredients and even make a double batch to freeze for later.
How To Make 3-Ingredient Vegan Burgers
TikToker @CheapLazyVegan shares a three-ingredient vegan burger recipe that uses everyday pantry staples like fiber-rich oats, pasta sauce or salsa, and black beans. This recipe calls for pan-frying the burgers instead of cooking them on the same grill with other meats, which helps avoid cross-contamination during a BBQ.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 (400 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pasta sauce or salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Additional seasonings such as chili powder or garlic powder (optional)
- Olive oil for pan-frying
- In blender or food processor, blitz oats until they resemble ground flour. Pour into mixing bowl.
- Grind black beans in blender or food processor and place into bowl with oat flour. Add pasta sauce or salsa to bowl with salt, pepper, and seasonings. Stir until fully combined and shape into 1/2 cup patties.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cook 4 patties at a time in pan on each side 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. If patties stick to spatula as you flatten them, wet the spatula with a bit of water. Repeat with any remaining burger mixture.
- Once cooked, transfer patties to plate. Serve each burger on a bun with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Since I’m not a fan of store-bought veggie burgers myself, I plan on whipping up this easy homemade version soon. And who knows, maybe it will become one of my go-to BBQ serving dishes!