Move over, chips and salsa — there’s a new snack sensation that’s winning over taste buds: pretzels and cheese dip. This duo is a match made in flavor heaven because it satisfies your salty and cheesy snack cravings. Plus, preparing the dip only takes only 20 minutes, and it can be served with store-bought pretzels. Ready to dive into the cheesy goodness of pretzel dip? Keep reading to learn about the key ingredient that makes cheese dip extra tasty and our recipe for this irresistible snack!
Why cheese dip is perfect for pretzels
Cheese dip and pretzels are one of the best food combos due to the flavor and texture contrast. Hard pretzels being salty and crunchy makes them ideal for dipping into gooey and sharp cheese dip. Also, you can mix extra ingredients into the dip that complement the savoriness of the pretzels.
The ingredient that makes cheese dip even tastier
Homemade cheese dip is miles better than the store-bought kind, but adding a few dashes of hot sauce takes it up a notch. This pantry staple gives cheese dip a zesty kick without overpowering the cheesy flavor. Also, it adds a slightly orange color to the dip that makes it visually stand out from other snacks in your spread.
You can use your favorite hot sauce for the dip, but if you’re really into heat, then we love Traeger’s Carolina Hot Reaper & Garlic Sauce (Buy from Traeger.com, $11.99). This hot sauce is unlike any other as it’s infused with Carolina reaper peppers and garlic. That gives it a strong mix of fiery, vinegary and pungent flavors. You only need to incorporate a small amount of this sauce into cheese dip since a little truly goes a long way.
How to make cheese dip for pretzels
Our Spicy Lager Cheese Dip recipe is full of zing thanks to ingredients like sharp cheddar, hot sauce, lager beer and mustard powder. While it’s excellent as a dip for mini pretzels or pretzel rods, it’s also great served alongside fresh veggies for a healthier option.
Spicy Lager Cheese Dip
- 1 (8 oz.) package shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- ½ cup lager beer
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ tsp. hot sauce such as Traeger
- Chopped chives or scallions (optional)
- Pretzels and/or assorted fresh vegetables, such as carrot and cucumber slices, pepper strips and broccoli florets
- Active: 20 mins
- Total time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- In medium bowl, combine shredded cheddar with flour and mustard; toss until coated. In medium pot over medium-low heat, bring beer to boil. Stir in cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add shredded cheese mixture a few handfuls at a time, stirring after each addition, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir hot sauce into cheese mixture. If desired, sprinkle with chives or scallions. Serve with pretzels and/or assorted vegetables.
Note: Store leftover cooled cheese dip in airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
How to reheat cheese dip
Leftover cheese dip is just as tasty the next day — that also means you can whip up a big batch to treat yourself throughout the week. Just follow these recommendations from First for Women Food Editor Charles Grayauskie to reheat it so it tastes as delicious as when it was first made:
- To reheat dip in the microwave: This method is speedy, but Charles cautions to keep a close eye on the dip to prevent splatters. “Place the dip in a microwave-safe bowl and cover loosely with a microwave-safe lid,” he says. “Microwave in 15-second intervals for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring between intervals, until heated through.” (Click through for a simple microwave cleaning hack that ensures the appliance is spotless before reheating your cheese dip.)
- To reheat dip on the stove: Warming up cheese dip on the stove allows the dip to heat more thoroughly. “In a small pot, heat the dip over a medium-low flame, stirring often for around 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through,” Charles says. “You can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk or heavy cream to the dip to make stirring easier before it begins loosening up from the heat.”
For more scrumptious snack ideas, read the stories below:
First For Women aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission.
Questions? Reach us at email@example.com
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.