Maybe you’ve heard the news — biking has never been more popular than it is right now! In the wake of the Covid-19 quarantine, interest in alternative methods of transportation has been high, and with the return of summer weather, it’s a great time to get out there on two wheels and enjoy the wind in your hair.
While bicycles themselves can be hard to come by these days, with places like Walmart all but selling out of popular models (see what’s still in stock here!), bike accessories are still widely available. So if you’re lucky enough to have a bike, this is the time to outfit it, and yourself, with all the necessary accessories to make riding safe, practical, and comfortable. From bike baskets to padded shorts and helmets, we’ve rounded up five must-haves for bike-lovers.
Whether you’re new to cycling or a serious rider, these bike accessories will have you cruising in style! Keep scrolling to see our picks for the best bike baskets, helmet, lights, and bike shorts available now.
See more of our best product recommendations.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
Where to buy: $44, Walmart
We’re in love with these sweet, old-fashioned wicker baskets from Nantucket Bicycle Basket Co.! Woven from fine rattan cane material, they’re replicas of baskets first produced in Nantucket during the 1800s, so they come by their vintage vibes honestly. They attach easily to your bike with adjustable leather straps, and are roomy enough to hold a few groceries, your beach gear, or any other essentials! And a solid bottom means you don’t have to worry about your phone or other small items falling out, either.
- “It is stylish, easy to install and well made. It was exactly what I was looking for to hold a few items from our local farm market that I pick up on my bike rides.“
- “The picture, though pretty, do not begin to show just how nice this basket looks! It also feels good. It is well made. I love mine.”
- “Very sturdy basket — holds a good-sized purse or shopping bag. Sits well on the bike and doesn’t slide around on the bars.“
Where to buy: From $129.95, Backcountry
If you’ve spent much time on a bicycle, you already know that there can be certain… issues of a personal nature when it comes to comfort. If you’ve ever struggled with post-ride soreness, a pair of cushioned bike shorts, like these from Pearl Izumi, can make a world of difference. Made from breathable, moisture-wicking fabric with a soft chamois lining, these seamless shorts will stay put and protect you from chafing, saddle sores, and other bike-related woes down below.
- “The chamois is just outstanding — super comfortable, not bulky at all. The fabric is compression, which is good for keeping tired muscles at bay, but not hot and restrictive. The fabric wicks very well [and] the waistband doesn’t roll or constrict. I think the Pearl Izumi Pro line may be favorite shorts ever, and I’ve been wearing [the brand] for many years now.”
- “I love the comfort of these shorts. The gel padding is the best I’ve tried. The leg gripping kept the shorts in place and did not constrict at all. While very pricy, I do recommend these shorts.”
- “The best biking shorts I’ve owned yet.”
Where to buy: $69.99, Amazon
This lightweight yet sturdy equestrian-inspired helmet, available in the pretty blue pictured here or in dark gray or matte bronze, is not only super stylish, but offers serious protection in case you take a tumble. It’s adjustable so you can get the perfect fit, and the chin strap fastens easily with a magnetized clip! A removable visor lets you wear it exactly how you like it, and cotton padding keeps you comfortable throughout your ride.
There aren’t any Amazon reviews on this product yet, but one of our editors loves it so much, she bought one for her daughter as well!
Where to buy: $44.99, Amazon
If your bike has a rack on the back, make the most of it by mounting this wire basket on it! It fits all types of bikes, from cruisers to mountain bikes, and is made from sturdy, rust-proof iron. Durable and easy to install using either zip-ties or included mounting hardware, you’ll love being able to load up your groceries and other essentials and zip around town! Comes with a waterproof liner/cover as well, to protect from corrosion and wear over time.
- “We live in Florida and ride our bikes at least three times a week. The basket is perfect for carrying anything from towels, groceries, drinks! Plus, it was easy to install.”
- “Size is plenty big to carry a book bag or groceries. Zip ties work well to secure to bike. Have not had to use hoodie, but seems to be good. Paint is good and so far has kept its finish.”
- “Works great!”
Where to buy: $19.99, Amazon
If you’re going to be out riding after dark, or even close to dusk, a bike light is an absolute must. But with so many different ones available, how can you choose? We like this one because it’s easy to install, super bright, can be detached and used as a flashlight around the house or yard, and comes with a blinking taillight as well. Requires three AAA batteries, which will last for up to six hours of night-riding.
- “Many similar lights are such that you connect it to the bike and it just stays in place forever, but with this, you can easily disconnect [it] and just use it as a flashlight, whether you’re out on a trail at night, or just at home when you need an extra flashlight. Also, as a side note, it’s very easy to turn on while riding — but difficult to accidentally turn off.”
- “I got this for the kids to use when we’re riding in close to dusk. I bought 2 and found the mounting super easy. This package is a great value and comes with rear lights too! “
- “These are the third brand of bike lights I have purchased and by far the best. Went riding with my bike partner recently and he turned his light off because it wasn’t adding any light to the situation because these were so bright. Love the ability to focus one light down the road and wide beam the other to light up the whole trail directly in front.”