Kate Beckinsale is best known for being a fabulous actress, famous for her roles in movies such as Love & Friendship, The Aviator, and Serendipity. But even a Hollywood star has the responsibility of entertaining guests in her home sometimes.
Considering Kate is the first brand ambassador for Russell Hobbs — a domestic appliance brand from the UK that’s now available in the US — it’s safe to say she knows how to be a hostess with the mostess. Luckily, she’s also been generous enough to share her best home entertaining and decor tips with FirstForWomen.com. Scroll below to learn how to throw a party like an A-lister for the holidays and beyond.
Kate Beckinsale’s Home Entertaining Tips
- Put out small dishes and finger foods to keep people snacking, which in turn creates a central location for conversation to be held.
- Some of the snacks I’d put out are a sliced baguette, which I toast in my Russell Hobbs toaster ($99.99, Amazon) and place next to a variety of cheeses and spreads.
- Use a playlist-generating service such as Spotify or Pandora for some background music to match the mood, theme, or atmosphere of your get-together.
- A common way to make overnight guests in the UK feel right at home is by leaving a filled hot water bottle next to their bed. It’s warm and cozy, and I fill mine using my Russell Hobbs Electric Kettle ($99.99, Amazon).
- I like to use temporary wallpaper in a colorful print to help liven up a room. The best part is that it’s removable, so I can easily switch things up when it’s time for a change.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks — make a statement with your interior. Whether it’s a pop of wallpaper on a single wall, an oversized chandelier, or a vintage lounge chair, throwing in an unexpected piece will assert your personal taste and give a focal point to the room.
- Take 90 percent of things off your countertops and store them for a clean-looking, fresh kitchen — except stylish appliances. My favorite is the Russell Hobbs Retro Style Toaster ($79.99, Amazon), which fits in with my retro style nicely!
- Leave an element or two undone so that your space looks lived-in and there’s a mussed up, cozy, and inviting feel.
Kate also shares what to do if you’d like to be a polite guest at a party. She says, “I always like to bring a personalized sweet treat to thank the hostess of a party I’m attending. Cookies or M&M’s monogrammed with the hostess’ initials always do the trick.”
We don’t know about you, but we’re taping all her tips to our fridge!