8 Home Entertaining Tips From Hollywood Star and Master Hostess Kate Beckinsale
Kate Beckinsale is best known for being a fabulous actress, famous for her roles in movies such as Love & Friendship, The Aviator, and Serendipity. But even a Hollywood star has the responsibility of entertaining guests in her home sometimes.
Considering Kate is the first brand ambassador for Russell Hobbs — a domestic appliance brand from the UK that’s now available in the US — it’s safe to say she knows how to be a hostess with the mostess. Luckily, she’s also been generous enough to share her best home entertaining and decor tips with FirstForWomen.com. Scroll below to learn how to throw a party like an A-lister for the holidays and beyond.
Kate Beckinsale’s Home Entertaining Tips
- Put out small dishes and finger foods to keep people snacking, which in turn creates a central location for conversation to be held.
- Some of the snacks I’d put out are a sliced baguette, which I toast in my Russell Hobbs toaster ($99.99, Amazon) and place next to a variety of cheeses and spreads.
- Use a playlist-generating service such as Spotify or Pandora for some background music to match the mood, theme, or atmosphere of your get-together.
- A common way to make overnight guests in the UK feel right at home is by leaving a filled hot water bottle next to their bed. It’s warm and cozy, and I fill mine using my Russell Hobbs Electric Kettle ($99.99, Amazon).
- I like to use temporary wallpaper in a colorful print to help liven up a room. The best part is that it’s removable, so I can easily switch things up when it’s time for a change.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks — make a statement with your interior. Whether it’s a pop of wallpaper on a single wall, an oversized chandelier, or a vintage lounge chair, throwing in an unexpected piece will assert your personal taste and give a focal point to the room.
- Take 90 percent of things off your countertops and store them for a clean-looking, fresh kitchen — except stylish appliances. My favorite is the Russell Hobbs Retro Style Toaster ($79.99, Amazon), which fits in with my retro style nicely!
- Leave an element or two undone so that your space looks lived-in and there’s a mussed up, cozy, and inviting feel.
Kate also shares what to do if you’d like to be a polite guest at a party. She says, “I always like to bring a personalized sweet treat to thank the hostess of a party I’m attending. Cookies or M&M’s monogrammed with the hostess’ initials always do the trick.”
We don’t know about you, but we’re taping all her tips to our fridge!
More From FIRST
10 Tips to Mix and Match Couch Pillows Like a Pro
9 Cheap, All-Natural Cleaning Hacks for Pet Owners