Wearing Socks to Bed Can Improve Your Sleep, Experts Say
There are two kinds of people in this world — people who like wearing socks to bed, and people who loathe the very thought of being so confined that their toes barely have room to wiggle. If you identify with the latter, you might want to reconsider bundling up at bedtime. While socks may be a bit restrictive, the National Sleep Foundation reports that wearing them to bed just might be the key to getting a better night’s sleep.
Warming your feet before you go to sleep gives your brain a signal that it’s time for bed. When your feet are cold, however, your blood vessels constrict, causing less blood to circulate — which can lead to discomfort and restlessness. Although there are other methods of warming your feet — such as using a hot water bottle, wearing rice socks, or getting under a heating blanket — wearing socks is the safest way to keep your toes toasty without any risk of burning yourself.
Tips on How to Keep Your Feet Warm If You Hate Sleeping in Socks
If the thought of sleeping in socks makes you cringe, here are a few other safe ways to keep your feet warm at night, according to the National Sleep Foundation.
1. 1. Double up on the blankets. Layer a few blankets on top of your comforter for extra warmth.
2. 2. Splurge on fancy footwear. Sleep — good sleep, that is — is valuable, so why not spend a little on a nice pair of cashmere slippers or socks to wear before you go to bed? The warmer you can get your feet, the better.
3. Take a hot bath, or just a warm foot bath, before bed. Warm baths are an accessible and natural solution to cold feet.
Other Reasons to Wear Socks to Sleep
Getting a better night’s sleep isn’t the only benefit to wearing socks to bed. Socks actually help with a variety of other things, including:
1. Preventing hot flashes. Bet you’ll wear socks to bed now, won’t you?! We know it seems counterintuitive, but wearing socks to sleep can actually prevent hot flashes by helping to lower the body’s core temperature.
2. Improving the appearance of dry, cracked heels. If you moisturize your feet and then put on a nice, clean pair of cotton socks, it’ll help soothe rough patches and help keep your heels from drying out.
More from FIRST
7 Natural Ways to Reduce Stress and Prevent Heart Disease
How a Broken Heart Can Affect Your Health