When we heard about an appetizer called million dollar dip, we couldn’t resist digging deeper to learn more about it. If you’re a fan of salty, peppery and spicy flavors, you’re in luck because this dip has all three. Plus, you get a texture boost with crunchy almonds and chopped bacon that balances the silky cream cheese base. It shouldn’t come as a shock that each bite of this dip tastes like a million dollars, and it’s a great way to use up everyday ingredients. Here’s why you should make this dip as a last-minute snack for a party or cozy night in!
What is million dollar dip?
Million dollar dip usually contains cream cheese, sour cream, chopped bacon, cheddar, green onions, almonds and cayenne pepper. This combination of ingredients gives the chunky texture alongside with a pungent and tangy flavor.
How million dollar dip came about
This dip’s origins are surprisingly connected to the luxury retailer Neiman Marcus. Helen Corbitt, the store’s then-director of food services, invented this dip in the 1950s. It was originally served at the Zodiac Room, a restaurant at Neiman Marcus’ flagship store in Dallas. However, it didn’t take long for this dip’s popularity to reach outside of the restaurant and become a hit at gatherings and potlucks.
Why million dollar dip is a party-perfect snack
Out of all of the dips you can make, this one is an easy option. It doesn’t need to be cooked and kept warm like spinach and artichoke or Buffalo chicken dip. So, you can make it the night before, store it in your fridge and serve it cold with chips, crackers or veggies. A simple garnish of extra chopped bacon and green onions instantly makes this dip standout in your appetizer spread. Plus, you probably have all the ingredients you need to prepare this dip in just 5 minutes!
How to make million dollar dip
This Million Dollar Dip recipe comes from Lisa Andrews, Mdd, RD, LD, a registered dietitian nutritionist at the Health Insiders — and includes a low-fat yet flavorful optional swap. “I use plain Greek yogurt for sour cream, which adds a nice tart taste without all the fat,” she says. A ½ cup serving of sour cream contains 24 grams of fat, while the same amount of Greek yogurt has 6 grams of fat. Once all of the ingredients are combined, it’s ready to serve with your favorite dippers!
Million Dollar Dip
- 1 (8 oz) container of whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of cooked bacon, chopped + more for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped green onions + more for garnish
- ½ cup almond slivers
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Crackers, chips or sliced vegetables (for serving)
- Yield: approximately 8 servings
- In medium bowl, combine whipped cream cheese, Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese. Add chopped bacon, green onions and almond slivers. Mix well to form chunky dip.
- Spoon into serving bowl and garnish with additional bacon and green onions. Serve right away with crackers, chips or veggies. Or cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge. Enjoy within 1 to 2 days for maximum freshness and flavor.
5 delicious flavor upgrades for million dollar dip
While the classic version of million dollar dip is hard to beat, add your own flavor touch using five suggestions!
1. Use a combination of shredded cheeses.
Rather than sticking to just cheddar, combine with other cheeses like Pepper Jack and Gouda for added butteriness.
2. Add caramelized onions.
Stirring cooled caramelized onions into the dip infuses it with a rich and sweet flavor.
3. Incorporate million dollar bacon.
Million dollar bacon puts a sweet and spicy twist on the smoky meat, making it ideal to chop up and add to this dip.
4. Try using garlic and herb cream cheese.
Swap whipped plain cream cheese for a pungent garlic and herb variety.
5. Stir in mayonnaise.
Adding mayo in place of Greek yogurt or sour cream provides a similar creamy texture with an extra tang.
Keep reading for more delicious appetizer and snack recipes!