I love soup more than most people I know, but I also believe that using chicken broth only in liquid-based meals would be a travesty. Chicken broth is versatile, delicious, and you probably have some of it in your pantry right now — so get creative! Need more convincing? Read on to learn the benefits of including chicken broth in your meals and discover some unexpected uses for this hearty pantry staple.
The Power of Chicken Broth
Chicken broth has more to it than meets the eye. Yes, it’s a soup-erstar when it comes to cozy broth-based dishes, but it’s pretty great for your health, too (there’s a reason chicken noodle soup is prescribed for the sniffles). Chicken broth is packed with minerals, proteins, and fatty acids your body needs to heal, plus it’s full of vitamins and selenium, which help manage cholesterol and are good for heart health. It’s also anti-inflammatory and low-calorie to boot. If you don’t have time to make chicken broth from scratch, try Low-Sodium Chicken Broth from Zoup!. It’s made in small batches with no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or GMOs, so it’s basically homemade (and it tastes like it, too).
3 Creative Ways to Use Chicken Broth
Once you see chicken broth as an elixir of health and flavor instead of a mere building block for soup, the meal possibilities abound. Because it’s mild in flavor, it works well with a variety of dishes. Read on for three of our favorite recipes.
Lemon Cranberry Quinoa Salad
Salad probably wasn’t something you expected to see in an article about broth recipes. But this recipe from Taste of Home, which incorporates hearty ingredients and protein-packed quinoa, is one that even carnivores will enjoy.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped peeled jicama or tart apple
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- Whisk dressing ingredients in small bowl until blended.
- Bring broth to boil, add quinoa.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork, transfer to large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except avocado to quinoa, drizzle with dressing, toss to coat.
- Gently stir in avocado before serving.
One Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta
This recipe from Tasty is the ultimate pantry meal. It only has six main ingredients, and it’s done in under 30 minutes. Another bonus: This recipe calls for the pasta to be cooked in chicken broth instead of water, which gives the dish a deeper, meatier flavor.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook garlic in unsalted butter over medium high heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add next 5 ingredients and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally, 18-20 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan, adding milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley.
Skillet Tomato Chicken Breast Dinner
It’s recipes like this one from food blog Bunny’s Warm Oven that make me thankful I always keep canned tomatoes on hand. This looks great as-is, but blog creator Bunny recommends serving along with potatoes or risotto on the side.
- 4 whole boneless chicken breasts
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup white cooking wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breasts, sauté until golden brown on both sides, and remove from pan.
- Deglaze pan with wine or broth, add rest of ingredients, simmer 10 minutes.
- Place chicken back in pan, spoon tomato mixture on top, simmer 15 minutes or until cooked through.
I hope these recipes help you make a quick, yummy, and nutritious meal. Next time you pick up groceries, don’t forget the chicken broth.
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.