Woman Warns Others After Her Hair Dryer Catches Fire
We’ll never complain about a bad hair day ever again. At least that’s what we’re thinking after watching a terrifying new video of a hair dryer catching on fire.
A South Carolina woman named Erika Augthun Shoolbred warned her friends and followers about the hair dryer in question in a Facebook post, which has now gone viral. In the cautionary caption, she wrote, “Talk about a bad hair day! My new hair dryer (more like hair fryer) from OraCorp on Amazon.com became a blow torch on its first use this morning. A small burn on my hand and an enormous smell to my master bath — the company has yet to respond to my complaint.”
Frighteningly enough, this was a brand new hair dryer for Erika, who was greeted by the flames the first time she went to try it out.
“I am still a little shaken,” Erika said in an interview with Metro.co.uk. “I’m so fortunate the dryer was pointing away from me, and my 5-year-old daughter was not getting ready with me that morning. It could have been horrific.”
Fortunately, Erika only got a small burn on her hand and a lot of smoke in her bathroom. Since the incident, Amazon has removed all OrcaCorp hair dryers from its site.
While we’re glad that this particular hair dryer is no longer available on the site, it’s worth keeping this incident in mind the next time you buy a hair dryer. Do your research beforehand and try to read as many reviews as possible of different hair dryers. If the price is cheap for a particular brand, it may be tempting — but it might also be a red flag that it isn’t the highest quality. No matter what, always point the dryer away from you — and everyone else — the first time you plug it in.
Let’s keep both our hair and ourselves safe from something like this!
More from FIRST
Your Winter Survival Kit: How to Bounce Back From the Longest January Ever
Sorry, ‘Cool Moms,’ But Giving Alcohol to Teens Isn’t Safer, Study Finds
Pregnant Women on Low-Carb Diets More Likely to Have Babies With Birth Defects, Study Suggests