In an effort to infuse skin care with more naturally derived ingredients, scientists have uncovered the beautifying benefits of bee products. Their potent age-defying, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant compounds will leave you beautiful in no time
Wrinkles? Opt for royal jelly.
As we age, skin-firming collagen production slows, causing fine lines and furrows to set in — but royal jelly can help. The milky substance made by bees to feed to their queen contains 10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid. This fatty acid stimulates fibroblasts, the body’s collagen-producing cells, to smooth wrinkles and plump up skin for a more youthful-looking complexion. Find it in: Burt’s Bees Skin Nourishment Night Cream ($12.38, Amazon).
Where to buy: $12.38, Amazon
- Use daily for results within a month
- Infused with Vitamins A, B2, and E
- Won’t clog pores
- Free from parabens, phthalates, petrolatum and sodium lauryl sulfate
Loose neck? Try bee pollen.
Lax neck skin can add years to our look and create the illusion of a double chin. The fix to a tauter, slimmer neckline? Bee pollen! Its flavonoid kaempferol increases circulation while inhibiting the enzymes that break down skin-firming elastin, says New York City dermatologist Joshua Zeichner, M.D.
To do: Mix 2 Tbs. of pollen (like Hummingbee Bee Granules, $18.99, Amazon) and 1 Tbs. of Greek yogurt. Rub onto neck; rinse after 5 minutes. Use three times a week for results in 30 days.
Where to buy: $18.99, Amazon
- Contains phenolic acids and flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants and occur naturally in bee pollen
- Also makes a great supplement to sprinkle on cereal, add to smoothies and salad dressings, or to eat on its own
- Packed with protein, essential amino acids, Omega 3’s, vitamins, and minerals — all good for immune support
Rashy skin? Pick manuka honey.
Whether red, irritated skin is due to bug bites, sunburn, rosacea flare-ups or acne, manuka honey (produced by bees that pollinate New Zealand–native manuka bushes) can soothe and repair it. It has all of the skin-nourishing and healing properties of regular honey, but it’s up to four times more effective, thanks to its methylgloxal content.
“This organic chemical compound has powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that speed the healing of irritated skin, restoring its barrier to a healthier state,” says Dr. Zeichner. What’s more, the honey’s anti-inflammatory properties quickly ease pain and reduce redness for a more even skin tone. Simply massage a pea-sized amount of manuka honey (like Manuka Doctor Bio Active 15+ Manuka Honey, $17.43, Amazon) onto irritated skin. Let sit 15 minutes, then rinse. Use daily as needed until skin has fully healed.
Where to buy: $17.43, Amazon
- 100% natural Manuka honey from New Zealand, independently certified country of origin
- Multiple uses
- Use as a supplement in beverages, as a sweetener substitute, or simply dissolve in your mouth by the spoonful!
- Natural energy source
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
This article originally appeared in our print magazine.