Courtesy of McCormick Flavor Forecast
You don’t need a spit — or even meat — for real-deal tacos al pastor. Create a vegan version of this Mexican street food institution with nutty, roasted butternut squash and a whole slew of seasonings. Layer in corn tortillas with chunks of pineapple, a squeeze of fresh lime, crunchy cabbage or radishes, and onion as desired.
This recipe is courtesy of McCormick Flavor Forecast.
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp McCormick Gourmet Chile Pepper, Ancho
- 2 tsp McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp McCormick Cumin, Ground
- 1 1/2 tsp McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1 tsp McCormick Gourmet Organic Coriander, Ground
- 3/4 tsp McCormick Paprika, Smoked
- 1/8 tsp McCormick Cloves, Ground
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp McCormick Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced into rings
- 4 tbsp lime juice, divided
- Shredded green cabbage, (about two cups)
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- Chopped white onion, (optional)
Place one oven rack in lowest position and another rack in highest position. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix oil, spices, 1 3/4 teaspoons of the salt and pepper in a large bowl with wire whisk. Add squash; toss to coat evenly. Arrange squash in single layer on parchment-lined shallow baking pan. Set aside.
Arrange pineapple slices in single layer on a separate parchment-lined shallow baking pan. Drizzle with two tablespoons of the lime juice.
Place pan with squash on lowest oven rack. Place pan with pineapple on highest oven rack. Roast 30 to 35 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly browned, stirring squash and flipping pineapple halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, toss cabbage with remaining two tablespoons lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl.
Remove squash and pineapple from oven and let cool slightly. Chop pineapple into bite-size chunks. To serve, layer squash and pineapple in warm corn tortillas; top with cabbage or radishes and chopped white onion, if desired.
Per serving: Calories: 130 Protein: 2 gram Fat: 6 grams (1 gram saturated) Cholesterol: 0 milligrams Carbohydrates: 17 grams Sodium: 480 milligrams Fiber: 3 gram Sugar: 6 grams